Monday, December 05, 2005

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

Yesterday in church, I was listening to our associate pastor drone on about the same point for too many minutes. In doing so, I happened to fall victim to my lack of decent sleep the night before. And twice, my husband caught me. So, not wanting to give him too much to nag at me about later, I tried to keep my mind occupied with other things that would keep me awake, since the ever-continuous sermon kept going on.

In doing so, I noticed that there was a gentleman that used to lead our Sunday school class, who was always impeccably dressed, was not so impecible this morning. He was wearing a shirt that had a bodice one color, the collar a different color, and each sleeve was a different color as well. I was drawn to it the way you're drawn to a car wreck. I wanted to look, just to be sure I was seeing what I was seeing, but it was so grotesque that I couldn't take my eyes away.

And then I started thinking. I know, wrong thing to do, but I did it anyway. Looking at his shirt, it looked like the ones that were really popular in the late eighties, early nineties, which was about the time that he was in college. And, being the fit, muscular man that he is, he probably hasn't changed sizes since then, so all of the clothes he used to wear probably still fit. So, he chooses to wear them, still.

Herein lies my dilemma. Do I wear clothes that are out of style now, or are the clothes I wear still timeless enough that it doesn't matter? Do I have enough sense to know which clothes are out of date now, and not to wear them? Or am I getting dressed every morning and being a distraction to my students as I stand in front of them? Even worse, is there anyone that would tell me that a certain outfit shouldn't be worn anymore? My husband sure wouldn't know.
I just don't want to look like that other guy when I go out in public.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

OH! Now I can't wait to give you your Christmas present!

Jennboree said...

So glad you got something out of church on Sunday :) ha

I'm the same. Especially now that I don't dress up every day to go to an office. I was at least able to determine if my shirt/sweater/pants/skirt was dated or not.

Sweatpants don't really get dated do they? Hope not!

Michelle said...

jenn- I know... that's almost why I didn't post about it, but it really did bother me, and I just couldn't resist.

Amanda said...

i didn't see him! shoot.

my sense of sight was on standby as my sense of hearing was overwhelmed by my son's sense of screaming in the cry room with the ineligible people. remember?