Sunday, December 11, 2005

Before I had kids...

Everyone always says that after you have kids, you forget what life was like before they came along... and WOW is that the truth!
Before I had kids, I had time for everything that I don't have time for now. I stayed in better contact with all my friends, I kept my house cleaner, and I got to wake up whenever I wanted to wake up. I could go to bed without having to pick up clothes and toys off the floor, and there weren't crushed pieces of cracker in my carpet.
I didn't react to sudden noises by saying "Noise!", I didn't open the cabinet and hear "More, more?" and I didn't see the little things as so important.
Since Thursday night, I have had the opportunity to remember what it was like before I had Micheal. My husband decided to go hunting with his dad, and he took our child with him so that Micheal could hang out with his grandma. Plus, it was my LAST AND FINAL MASTER'S CLASS EVER! So, he went to her instead of her coming down to him.
Anyway, I got to do the things I've been wanting to do this weekend, and it has been wonderful!
I got to have one last hoorah with my sister, who will be moving away from us next week. But, I can't talk about that. I got to go Christmas shopping without having to worry about when I had to be back home, and I finished my shopping! Then, Amanda Sue came over, and we wrapped our Christmas presents and had girl time fun! I had forgotten how much fun it is to just hang out with a great friend and not have to worry about babies and husbands wanting attention and other things needing my attention. I got to have conversations with Amanda that opened my eyes to things that I've been wondering, and I got to share time with the people that I love, other than my husband and child.
I realized that I have been neglecting certain things since my child was born, the most important of those, myself and my friendships.
But, in the end, I find myself wondering what time my child will be back home, and I can't wait to hear him ask for hugs and kisses, and say thank you for everything that goes his way, whether I gave it to him, or if he gave it to himself.
What did I do before I had kids?
Does it really matter? Because it's so much more fun now! And he gives me so many more things to laugh about!

2 comments:

Jennboree said...

Wonderful post!

I'm sad for your sister's move away from you but so excited for her new opportunity. She knows you are a phone call or short drive away. :)

Making time for myself is now a concept I feel comfortable making a reality now that Bella is older and communicating with others better. I'm sure with a second child, I'll be shoving both kids off onto someone else much sooner! ha

Amanda said...

"whether I gave it to him or if he gave it to himself"

haha! i can picture that happening with your little man!

love this post, and i loved hanging out saturday!