Know how when you stay busy, you don't really pay attention to how you feel or think about what events lie ahead of you? Ever notice how when you don't want to think about it, that's the only thing on your mind?
All day Friday, I worried about getting my house clean and ready for my parents to come over. Saturday morning I worried about feeding people and getting everyone ready to leave the house on time. Then, I worried about making sure that my child didn't get loud enough to disrupt anyone else while watching their child or sister or other family member walk across a stage and receive the diploma they've been working so hard to get. Then, I worried about getting home and getting food ready for my family and all of my sister's friends. And it turned out well.
And then it was time for everyone to leave. Including my sister.
I hugged everyone, leaving her for last. The second I put my arms around her little neck, I couldn't breathe. My world stopped, and I realized that this was the last time I would hug my sister and not see her the next day. She tried to make me feel better by saying she'd see me in a couple days, but we both laughed because we knew it was just a joke. We've always been able to go at least a couple days without seeing each other, but I don't know how long these "couple days" will be. As they pulled away, we both had tears in our eyes, so I came back inside and just let them flow.
Ever notice how a really good cry seems to take away all your energy and momentum for the rest of the day?
And then the other side of the family came over for dinner and Christmas presents. Whoa... what a weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
awww..you made ME cry! I always wish Amanda and I lived closer. Sisters are the best friends we never expected but are so blessed to have.
You make me wish I had a sister!
okay, i have tears too. and i NEVER just say that. it squeezed my heart a little to think about you being lonely for melinda. :(
oh, my sweet friend!
Post a Comment