Sunday, March 26, 2006

Come and Gone

This weekend, my grandfather flew in from California to come and visit us.
As much as I was worried about how this trip would go, I have come to the decision that it could have gone a lot worse, and I am sooo thankful for the husband that I have, who can keep up a conversation about something he has no interest in by asking the right questions and making the right comments. This is something I cannot do, and I have no interest in learning how to do it, because I still have no interest in making conversation last about a topic that I have no knowledge base about, nor do I care to begin one.
But, the fears I had about the visit were never an issue, and everything went over very well. Little Man behaved himself, and really made me proud of him.
Grandpa would start coughing (cigars catching up to him, he says), and every time, Little Man would say, "Bless You, Papaw!" And I would have to tell him thank you, because it was so small and sweet that poor Grandpa couldn't hear it.
Papaw is what Little Man calls both of his grandfathers, but this weekend, I didn't really want him calling my grandpa that, because Mom and I were worried that Grandpa would start thinking that Little Man was his grandson, not his GREAT grandson. So, everytime we would talk about something Grandpa had or was doing, we would say, "Mommy's Grandpa" and Little Man would say "Mommy's Pompa." It was very sweet.
We got pictures of them outside, and playing cars together on the table, and a picture of Mommy and her "Pompa" and Little Man all together, so that years from now, he will have a face to put with a name, and know that Mommy's Pompa came all the way from California just to see him and his mommy and daddy.
I guess I have another scrapbook page in the making now, we'll just see if I can get the time to finish it!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

i can't wait to see pictures!

thank you for letting us hang out this weekend! it was a fun change of scenery for us!