Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Close Call

I got a call today from my husband at school. This doesn't sound like anything interesting, I know. Except that he NEVER calls me at work, and he was supposed to be out at a SWAT day and unreachable himself.
You know how Texas needs rain, and how people are stupid and ignore STATE-WIDE burn bans? Well, about a mile and a half away from our house, a stupid old woman decided to burn her trash, and didn't keep it under control. Jonathan happened to hear about it from a fellow SWAT member and hitched a ride home, calling me to tell me that I wasn't to come home until he called me to tell me either where to go instead or when it was safe to come back. Then he said he was on his way home to pack some things. WHAT?!? Do you really think that he would get all the things that I would think of when given ten minutes to grab and go? And more importantly, what would I have put in the car given ten minutes to grab and go?

Luckily, I was in the middle of class and couldn't think about it. By the time I did have time to think about it, he had called and said that all was well, they had stopped the spread of the fire, and the stupid woman had been ticketed for her ignorance. Thank God. Crisis averted. But now I'm thinking. What should I have made sure we got out of the house?

No comments: