Friday, September 02, 2005

Anniversary Gift - A little early

My husband is not a creative gift- giver. In fact, I usually write down a very short list of very specific things that I would enjoy about a week before my birthday, because then it starts our gift-giving season. My birthday is in October, his is in November, Christmas in December, and our anniversary in early January.

Thus, I was very pleasantly and emotionally affected this week when I came home from school to find out that my husband had been listening FIVE YEARS AGO when I told him of a secret dream of mine.

Monday afternoon, I came home from school, dead dog tired after a Monday dealing with high schoolers, and was trying to clean up my kitchen before I started scrounging around the kitchen for some dinner plans. I found a blank, empty envelope and asked my husband what he had forgotten to mail. He told me that he had bought me a card and forgot to put it in there. I quickly racked my brain, wondering whether (God forbid) I had forgotten any kind of important date. I quickly assured myself that I know dates WAY better than my husband does and maybe he was just mistaken, or even more correctly assumed, just messing with me.
I asked him to forgive me while I giggled, and he said that he really had bought me a card and that it was in the dining room. So, I walked by the room, and my first thought was, "Why is that table pushed up so close to the windows?" And then I saw it...

MY OWN PIANO! With a card on top of it.

My secret dream ever since I was a kid taking piano lessons was to grow up and get a house big enough that I could dedicate one whole room as a music room. I'd get a black baby grand piano, and have my viola in one corner, and my piano in the middle of the room, and it would be just for me to go when I wanted to relax and play some music.

And he remembered this.

Our fifth anniversary is in January, and he thought ahead and decided he wanted to do something REALLY GOOD, and so he looked around and bought me a piano. It's not brand-new, but it's new to me, and I am so excited to get it tuned and fill my house with missed notes and joyous noise that my child can remember and then learn as he gets older.

I am so blessed to have the family that God has given me, and I can't believe that we will have been married five whole years in a few short months. I know that there are many other people out there that have been married much longer and think that five years is nothing, but I think that these five years are way more than many other families in my husband's profession will ever see, and I am thankful for that, and look forward to many more years with my little family.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

what a sweetie! i can't wait to see it!

Melinda said...

"Plus..."(this is what you forgot) "my wonderful sister knew about the WHOLE thing and she did not peep a single ioda to me!" :) Is it tuned yet?