Monday, September 26, 2005

Give me a Marga-Rita

As my sister already informed most of my friends and adoring public, Micheal, Melinda and I rode out Hurricane Rita with the In-Laws in Mesquite. That wouldn't have been as upsetting if it had been my decision, or had only been the five of us. But, my father-in-law also wanted his parents away from home, and since they couldn't fit in my car, he came down and got them.

Seeing as how there is still no power at my house, and my husband is having to work 12 hour shifts every day, instead of 3 or 4 days a week, and how my school still has no power, I was told that there was no reason to come home. ( No electricity at home = no blog updates or Internet games when bored.) I keep getting daily updates from school saying no school tomorrow, as they are looking at it on a day by day basis, which is bad planning and not very helpful for those of us that are not at home right now. The phone call today was that our superintendent (who before this I thought was an intelligent man) wanted the teachers to come to school tomorrow, electricity, water, nor gas or not, and we could call it a work day. I told my go-between that there was no way I was driving all the way home just so that I could sit in an un-powered, no AC house for however long it takes just to go up to school for "at least an hour" when they don't even have electricity there. This is bad planning. It's interesting how many flaws in an emergency plan come out when there is a real emergency.
So, when I do get a phone call that there is school tomorrow, I guess I have to quickly pack up my car and my child and pray that there will be electricity (and water) at my house when I get there, so that I can go back to work. And if not, I guess we'll be bathing with the two cases of water that I bought before I left the house, and cooking whatever food I can find on the grill outside.

Bad weather sucks.

No comments: