Monday, September 19, 2005

Drive Thru Window Now Closed

Tonight was Open House at our school. I don't mind Open House, not at all. I do, however, mind the mindset that some parents come to Open House with. They don't come thinking that Open House is really just a high school version of Meet the Teacher, like they should. Instead, they come thinking that Open House is more of a Parent-Teacher Conference, in five minutes or less.

I don't like this because I have three or more sets of parents and students in my room at one time, and I have to do group "individual" conversations with each child and their parent(s), in front of the other parents and their student. How nice is that? If you were worried about your child's grades, just wait in Mrs. A's room and you'll hear how bad other kids are doing, and you won't feel so bad about your kid anymore!

I got smart about it this year. I didn't talk about specific grades, instead, I pawned it off on the kid. When Mom asked how little Johnny's grades are, I asked little Johnny why Mom hasn't seen his assignment sheet that should have all of his grades written in order?!? That way, it was off my shoulders and onto L.J.'s! :) Can you say grounded?

The majority of my parent contact this evening was with parents of my Geometry students, who on Friday while I was in school working on my Master's, were in class cheating on a test with a sub that just let them. There are so many things wrong with this situation that it's a whole 'nuther post all in itself. And, seeing as the drive-thru window has now closed, I am going to save that one for a rainy day and go to bed now. Long story short is that a few kids didn't even tell Mom and Dad that they had a test, let alone that they all failed it after they all cheated. Can you say even more grounded?

I'm exhausted. I wonder if this is how speed-dating would feel at the end of the night?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

ha! speed dating!

you made me laugh AND type a one-handed comment! :)

obyxtct - obesity?