Thursday, May 05, 2005

Faux Paux Sisterhood

I don't want to reveal my sources, but if other bloggers can make up their own secret society, I can have mine. So, if you want to be a member of the Faux Paux Sisterhood (even though it says sisterhood, I won't be sexist and will allow males in my sisterhood) then follow these instructions:

Please raise your right hand and say the following:

As a member of the Faux Paux Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes:

I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps.

I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe.

I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow.

I will shave the hairs off my big toe.

I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker,mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there.

If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts.

I will not live in corn denial; rather I will lean on my good friend Dr.Scholl's if my feet need him.

I will resist the urge to buy jelly shoes at Payless for the low, low price of $4.99 even if my feet are small enough to fit into the kids' sizes. This is out of concern for my safety, and the safety of others. No one can walk properly when standing in a pool of sweat, and I would hate to take someone down with me as I fall and break my ankle.

I will take my toe ring off toward the end of the day if my toes swell and begin to look like Vienna sausages.

I will be brutally honest with my girlfriend/sister/coworker when she asks me if her feet are too ugly to wear sandals. Someone has to tell her that her toes look like they've been dragged behind her car on the way to work and no sandal in the world is going to make her feet look good.

I will promise if I wear flip flops, that I will ensure they actually flip and flop, making the correct noise while walking and I will swear NOT to slide or drag my feet while wearing them.

I will promise to go to my local beauty school/parlor at least once per season and have a real pedicure (they are about $15 and worth EVERY penny). I say spend another $15.00 and get a even better one.

And finally... I will promise to throw away any white/off-white sandals that show signs of wear...nothing is tackier than dirty white sandals...

Who's with me?

9 comments:

Amanda said...

i nominate this as the funniest post you have ever written! i laughed loudly throughout, and am in complete agreement! please do file off all skin chunks before they turn hard and yellow. please.

(i don't get the part about the secret identities though. who has one?)

Amanda said...

*lightbulb flash!*

oooh oooh! are you talking about the Blog Patrol? they are super-nerds. let's be their rivals!!!!

Michelle said...

We can do that! But, I'm not smart enough to make up a little clip art thing to put on our blogs that identify us as members... anyone else that can?

Amanda said...

i will try to bootleg something. but don't get your hopes up! :)

Quycksilver said...

While I'm with you on most of these, I just can't hold the hardline on chipped polish or pedicures. Not only are they at least $15 (usually at least $25 around my 'hood), but they take up time I can't usually spare. I figure the touch up on the big-toe is a good quick-fix. (Besides, if people are close enough to my feet to notice that, then there's lots else wrong with the equation!)

Anyway, i enjoy the blog.
:)

Melinda said...

Hey...I'll try many things....but this is the first...what do you think???

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/213/2927/320/ff2.jpg

Michelle said...

it's a good start... I don't know about the wording underneath...

Melinda said...

K....so what do you want??? :) Oh...mom told me about a future visitor to the Nac area.....does he know that I live here???

Melinda said...

because I do believe that I might disappear when he comes...but then reappear on the 21st...and then disappear again :)