Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ready, Set, Wash!

The other day, a friend and I were talking about how long a shower should be in order to get everything done. As a girl, I think it takes a little longer to shower in the summer than it does in the winter, but only because you have to shave daily as opposed to monthly as in the winter. She said that her husband takes a much longer shower than she does, and she doesn't see the need to be in the shower for more than ten minutes. That, in her opinion, should be enough time to get everything cleaned off from beginning to end.
I agree with her, but when I lived at home, I would pray for a ten minute shower. My parents thought that my sister and I used too much water, so they would tell us that we needed to take a five minute shower. That was it. Five minutes. And to make sure that we didn't take too long, when five minutes was up, they would turn on the kitchen sink below us or flush a toilet or start the dishwasher or washing machine... anything that disrupted the flow of perfectly tempered water flowing on my head. Once we screamed, they would turn off the faucet for only a moment, as though it was our warning to wash it all off and get out. If we took too long, they would do it again.
Looking back now, it's hilarious! I can' believe that we really took that much water! And there was plenty of hot water, not like at my house now, where two people can't shower within thirty minutes of each other, or else you will freeze like the ice outside if you do.
My friend laughed at me, thinking about her shower routine, wondering what she would have to cut out in order to make the five minute time restraint. It's a hard thing to do.
I still find myself looking at the clock when I get in and then again when I get out of the shower, just to make sure I didn't take too long...
But now that I pay for my own hot water, I like to take showers that are at least 9 minutes... give or take a child screaming at me to get out....

2 comments:

Jennboree said...

I've never been a fan of showers. I like luxurious baths. Not that I get them anymore. More like, wash and shave as fast as I can before a little person starts stripping and climbing in, whether I'm ready for her or not!

Hausfrau said...

The fastest showerer in the family is my husband who can be in and out in under 5 minutes. The longest one ... who I have to constantly knock on the door for ... is my 10 year old daughter who could easily spend 30 minutes in there. Still not sure how I'm going to fanagle 6 people in the shower each day. The kids are getting older ... skipping isn't going to keep being an option.