Friday, February 03, 2006

Instant Mother of Two

Today I became the mother of two boys. But this time I didn’t have to suffer painfully or gain any weight. Today my loving husband had surgery on his elbow and right hand. He had carpal tunnel in his right hand and needed repair for tennis elbow. So, now I am at home taking care of my child and my husband. But that’s not the funny part.

The funny part was the sequence of the events that occurred at the surgery center. Before surgery, my husband’s demeanor was pretty good. He was excited that he got to “tattoo” his own arm to remind the surgeon which arm he was supposed to be working on. Then the fun started. They started his IV, gave him a little shot, and she told him, “Here’s your margarita!” He started talking, and we were worried that when he woke up from his surgery he would be combative, so we were discussing our options. Then he said, “When am I satosed to spart feeling this stuff?” Except that’s not what he thought he said. And the poor little nurse thought that meant he couldn’t feel anything and asked if he needed more already. HA! That was the least of his worries! Then they wheeled him off and I went into the waiting room to go grade some tests.

An hour and a half later, they called me back to be there with him when he woke up, so that if he did anything combative, at least I’d be a familiar face to help calm him down. Luckily, we didn’t have to worry about that. He woke up, and the first thing he told the anesthesiologist who told him that surgery was already over was “You didn’t even warn me!” I guess that means that they didn’t tell him he was going to sleep. And then he went back to sleep. And then woke up again, and then to sleep again… I got a lot of grading done! Slowly, the awakenings came a little more frequently, and the words started flowing in more understandable attempts. Except for one of them. At one point, I asked if he needed anything, and he told me no, so when I sat back down, he told me to “keep working on your suck-a-doo-doo.” I guess he meant my Sudoku puzzles… too bad I was still grading!

All in all, he’s fine now, but for a little goofiness sometimes, and a real appreciation for a wife that is taking care of him, and a child that is sweet enough to know that Daddy hurts, so he keeps wanting to “kiss it” for Daddy so that it doesn’t hurt anymore.

I love my little family, funny, frail, and full of love.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

suck-a-doo-doo!

that is classic. don't you love anesthesia? it gives you lots of ammunition for later!

Jennboree said...

Ha! I love people on anesthesia. Especially my sister. She's quite entertaining when sober, add an IV or some alcohol (not at the same time of course), she's hilarious!

Glad you have your little guy to help with the big one :)

Anonymous said...

are those the suck a doo doo puzzles I sent you? Erin

Michelle said...

Anesthesia aside, the hydrocodone afterward is kinda fun stuff, too! It gives him the dizzies and the hiccups that hurt, and makes him want to regurgitate previous devourings. But, he's getting better every day, and tomorrow we see the doc again for a follow-up.

E- yes, the one and only! :) I am soooo addicted to them it's not funny!