Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Tears in my Eyes

When I was pregnant, everyone told me that my emotions would change, and that I would cry at a drop of a hat. Well, I haven't really done that, but I do cry at things that are unexpected. For example, this song by Rascal Flatts about Sarah Beth.
I have their latest cd, and I guess I never got to that song on the cd, because they just started wearing it out on the radio, and every time I hear it, I cry. Most specifically, the minute they sing about "where his hair had been, softly she touches just skin."
EVERY SINGLE TIME, there are tears streaming down my face as the song plays on, like they don't know that they need to stop playing until I compose myself.
I don't know why these tears happen. But, I have thought of a few reasons it might be:

1. The boy is the kind of boy I want my Micheal to grow up to be, compassionate, kind, and unselfish.
2. I know that there are not kids like that out there anymore. I teach, and I see selfish kids every day that wouldn't shave their head for someone else. Considering they can't believe that wearing my hair crooked doesn't humiliate me.
3. There aren't adults out there that would be compassionate for that girl anymore. Compassion is not a trait that our society promotes anymore. What can we do about that?
4. Work is stressing me out, and I can't get out of this frustrating rut.

So, until then, I will be driving around, listening to my radio or cd, and streaming tears as I go.

6 comments:

Jennboree said...

Don't give up on the world, sweet girl. There are many compassionate people out there, of all ages. They are behind-the-scenes doing loving, good and helpful things for those who need it. It may not make the front pages (god forbid newspapers talk about the good news in life!) but it happens every day.

When Heath's cousin died at 19 of Cystic Fibrosis, all her classmates showed up, reading poems they wrote or just expressing their love and grief for her. It was truly moving and gave me hope for our society's future adults.

Amanda said...

i gave you that cd over a year ago! i can't believe you never heard that song! now i am desensitized because it is on the radio so much! do you like all my !!!!!!s ?

Jennboree said...

And you don't even drink coffee!!!!

Amanda said...

i guess we can just comment back and forth to each other on michelle's site, since she is not participating in her own post.

how ARE you, jenn? everything good? family good? dogs good? good here, too. real good.

Jennboree said...

Dogs good. One drags himself across the floor but maybe I can tie dish towels under him and he can clean our floor. Hmmm...

Michelle said...

give me a break!
I'm working on a surprise get together for my husband, I have surgery on Monday, and I'm trying to grade the masses of tests that are on my desk!
That, and I usually post at home now, and our phone line went out, and just came back. I'll post today. I think.