Thursday, November 10, 2005

I am Dedicated, if nothing else!

Even though our tiny little 1-A school doesn't have a football team, we do have a pretty good basketball team. One year, the girls are better than the boys, and another year, vice versa. I don't know what the tilt is this year, but the season hasn't really gotten underway, as the girls have only had one game, and the boys haven't even had one, yet. Nonetheless, our Homecoming is scheduled for tomorrow night, as our girls play one team, and our boys play a scrimmage against another team. Sounds like bad planning to me... but that's neither here nor there.

As in most high schools, the week leading up to Homecoming is Spirit week, with each day having a different theme. Monday was Overalls Day, because we're going to "Haul off the Lions" (or whatever their mascot is.) Tuesday was Wear All White Day, for "Keeping your Eyes on the Lions" (or something dumb like that.) Wednesday was Mismatched Day, and today was Twinkie Day (Match another person). Tomorrow is Spirit day, where we wear red and black to support the Pirates. I didn't know about Monday, so I didn't wear my overalls, even though I would have, since they are so comfortable. I wasn't about to look like a marshmellow and wear all white on Tuesday, so I skipped that day, too. So, I knew I had to do something good for Mismatch Day. I wore some pants and a shirt that had no business even being worn in the same week, let alone together on the same day. I also wore some funky socks with my tennis shoes, and some funky earrings. The other thing I did was wear my hair all jacked up in some lopsided ponytails on weird spots on my head. One kid didn't think they were weird enough, so he fixed them. Then he told me that I needed to wear it like that all the time.
After I was done laughing, he told me that if I wore my hair like that for a week, he would pass my Algebra class for the rest of the year. HOW COULD I RESIST?
This student should be a senior, but he is still a sophomore because he never gets enough credits a year to go on to the next grade level. He is completely capable of passing, but he is just LAZY and doesn't want to do enough work to pass. So, we made a deal. I wear my hair like a person without a mirror and vertigo for five school days, and he'll do all of his work and pass Algebra for the rest of the school year.
The catch?
If I don't hold up my end, in these five designated school days, he gets a free 100 as a test grade, which I don't give lightly.
If he doesn't hold up his end, all year long, then I get possession of his favorite hat, which I have never EVER seen out of his sight.
Hmmmm.... who gets the better deal here?
People around school are already looking at me, asking me if I forgot that yesterday was Mismatch day. I just keep saying, "No. I know. I'm just dedicated to doing ANYTHING it takes to help a student pass."
My hope is that once kids figure out what I'm doing, they'll know that I'm not the giant ogre that some of them think I am, and that they will work a little harder to earn the grades that I know they could get, as long as they are willing to put in a little effort.

5 comments:

Jennboree said...

Are you seriously gonna do this?

That is SO COOL! Wow, where were you when I was in high school??

Oh, yeah...you were in Jr. High.

Amanda said...

that is priceless! must see photo. really!

you should make the yearbook with this one! :)

Melinda said...

OH...MY...GOSH...that is so crazy!! Sometimes I wonder if you are even related to me...and then you pull something like this! :) Guess so! :) So is he doing his work???

Michelle said...

I wasn't at school today because of my master's class, but they did get a picture of me on Wednesday. We'll see if it makes the yearbook. We'll have to wait until Monday to find out whether he did his work today in class.

Michelle said...

Tomorrow is the last day!

I can't tell you how funny the kids are about my hair! You would think that appearance was the most important thing about school!

Maybe it will at least motivate others to pass...
A girl can always dream...