Friday, January 19, 2007

Let's Talk about sex, Baby!

It feels like every day, someone asks me some kind of question that deals with my sex life. It comes from all sorts of people, and it comes in all sorts of varieties of ways. It comes from old people, young people, family and non- family, even complete strangers!

It starts with “How old is your child?” which is innocent sounding enough, but when they then decide to ask about my sex life, they’ve gone too far. Why do people feel the need to ask me about this? How is it any of their business? What makes them think that I would tell them the ins and outs (no pun intended) and goings on in my life when I really think that’s something that shouldn’t be talked about with anyone but my husband?

“How far apart do you want them to be? Isn’t it about time for another one? Micheal needs a little sister/brother! Don’t you think? Are you at least trying?”

I know that they’re just trying to be nice, but every question they ask sounds to me like, “Did you have sex last night? Are you going to try again tonight? How did you make it work last time? Maybe you should try that again this time!”
I just don’t get it. When, or IF, we decide to have another baby, then we’ll let other people know when we decide to let people know! Is that too much to ask?

2 comments:

Jennboree said...

Very funny and so true! Asking if you should try for a baby is totally asking if you are having sex regularly.

YankeeAmanda said...

My daughter is 17 months and I'm starting to get those questions. It's almost MORE annoying when we were going through infertility and people were asking us if we would EVER have a baby!