Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Pete, meet Re-Pete

My child is at the point where he likes to repeat everything we say. He also likes to sing with Mommy in the car on the way to and from school. He loves to read books and tell you what he thinks the pictures mean, and he likes to repeat his favorite parts of stories or songs or rhymes to himself when he thinks that no one is listening. This is also when I find him counting the most, when he thinks that no one can hear him. He’s also gotten pretty good at whispering. Especially if you ask him to tell someone else something, that’s when he’ll whisper. Twerp.

When Little Man was born, I went and bought some Veggie Tales Kid Songs cds so that I could listen to some of the songs from when I was a kid and remember them enough to sing with him. The problem is, most of the songs are either new to me, or a different version of the song I remember. It’s kind of frustrating.

Then at the sitter’s, they’ve been reading a lot of books that have old rhymes and such that I used to know, but now I can’t remember them all. It’s annoying. The one that we’re stuck on right now is the one about the monkeys jumping on the bed and calling the doctor. Little Man can tell you really well what the doctor said. We also know about the Wheels on the Bus and such, but I am now having a mental block.

What was your favorite nursery rhyme or just plain non-rhyming rhyme that you would “sing” when you were a kid or that you taught your kids? I know there are so many that I "know", but I can’t think about them right now. I knew so many in high school when I was babysitting and teaching two-year old Sunday School classes, but now my brain has replaced those memories with things it felt were more important. But, importance has become a relevance-based concept now, and this idea is more important to me now than names of educational psychologists and such from college classes.

So, a little help? Anyone?

6 comments:

Amanda said...

hellllo?

what is my profession? what did i teach for three years? what is going through my head most of the time, unless i consciously change the channel to something more contemporary?

some quickies:
where is thumbkin?
twinkle twinkle
baa baa black sheep
little miss muffet
humpty dumpty
1, 2 buckle my shoe

also, i have some books and cds if you would like to borrow some.

Hausfrau said...

My kids are past the singing with me stage to ... and I'll quote my 12 year old's comment from just yesterday ... "I'd like to hear the person (on the radio) singing the song just once." I gave her a dirty stare and asked her to join in with me. I sang and she rolled her eyes.

As for nursery rhymes ... I don't recall really doing those with my children. We sang hymns together the most often. Now they know many of them by heart. It's nice to listen to driving down a dark highway late in the evening.

Michelle said...

AS- I know at one point you burned me some copies of songs that you used in your classroom, and I have them in the cd player in his room. Maybe I should move them to the car... I do need to borrow the books and make copies for other retarded brain days.

C- I remember singing hymns with my mom, too. At least your twelve year old can't tell you that she'd rather hear "them" sing it, since none of those songs are on the radio!

Dawn Blake said...

This Old Man, he played one,
he played nick nack on my drum.
With a nick-nack patty-whack give a dog a bone.
This old man came rolling home.

I used to sing that one all the time and try to see how far I could count and rhyme to the number.

Also:
The ants go marching one by one
Mary had a little lamb
Its raining its pouring

If ya need me to sing some of these to you I would be happy to. :)

Melinda said...

Es var en fater, hout en hoot, ez bingo vaz un namo. B-i-n-g-o, B-i-n-g-o, B-i-n-g-o, En Bingo vaz un namo. *now granted the German spelling isn't corrent...but you get the idea!! :)

Jennboree said...

I used to know a German children's song, but not anymore.

Mostly we repeat "Twinkle Twinkle" fifty times or she makes up her own songs now. About stirring supper, her name or going night-night.