Monday, April 17, 2006

Caller ID People

On my phone, we have Caller ID. In fact, it's on my cell phone as well. I really enjoy the fact that when the phone rings, I can know who it is before I pick it up. And if I don't know who it is, I don't have to pick it up, or I can pick it up and not give away any information that I don't have to. I really like to pick up the phone yelling and screaming when it is my mother-in-law calling, but that's because she thinks her grandson is perfect, and I like to remind her that he's not.
Either way, there are two types of people that have caller ID.
I am a person of the first type. I come home from being out and look at the phone just to see who, if anyone, called. If they called and didn't leave a message, then no big deal, they didn't want to really talk that bad. If they leave a message, then I'll call them back.
A person of the second type doesn't do that. If they miss a call, especially one on their cellphone, they will call the number back just to see who it was, even if no message was left. And, they'll call back no matter what time it is. It is interesting to find out which type of people your friends and co-workers are.
Last night, at about ten, the phone rang, and being that I knew the name that came up, I answered it, not very nicely.
Me : "Hello?"
Him: "Who's this?"
Like he has the right to ask me this... I'm not the one who dialed the number, buster.
Me: "Michelle." Very flat now, because, again, this is after my bed time!
Him: "Oh." Uncomfortable silence.
Me: "What?"
Him: "I'm trying to figure out who called me from this number."
Since I knew who it was, because I also have Caller ID, I pressed on.
Me: "It was probably my husband."
Him: "Umm... " More silence. "OHhhhhh!!!"
And then he figures it out. That he knows a Michelle and Husband, that it's okay that this number called his cellphone, and that he probably shouldn't have called a house with an infant at ten at night. I handed the phone to the hubby, who confirmed that it was his phone call, for work related reasons, and then they got off the phone.
To which I said, "Oh, so he's one of THOSE kind of people."

7 comments:

Melinda said...

Wait..you forgot about the third type of person...the one's that get a call with a message...and then don't call back anyways. It all depends on the message. Was it a true call or just a wanting to say hi kind-of message. And now I'm going to hell for saying that that is the kind of phone person that I am! :) Hope you were able to sleep after he called. :)

Jennboree said...

hahaha...Melinda...so cute you are!

I'm afraid when I first got a cell phone, I was one of THOSE second people Michelle described. Call me naive or just extremely curious. Now, unless you are family or leave a message, I don't care to call ya back.

Amanda said...

type 3 here!

who was it? not my husband, i hope! gimme some initials!

Melinda said...

Ha! Maybe type 3 is a middle child type of issue!! HA...and doubt big time that is was your husband...my guess is...who am I kidding...I don't know any Popo besides maybe 4 guys... :)

Michelle said...

AS - Not your hubby, initials are RM. I guess single guys just are predisposed to be type 2 Caller ID people.
Mel - you don't know him, because I barely do.
amanda- I'll always call you back! Message or not.

Amanda said...

ralph macchio? isn't that how you spell his name? he CALLED you? and you were RUDE to him???

Michelle said...

who is ralph maccio? I googled the name and don't recognize the face.
Weird.