Sunday, October 30, 2005

Twenty-five...plus two

I think that birthdays make you worse than the year before. My body isn't the same as it was a year ago, my mind isn't the same, and my attitude isn't the same. So, I have decided to do like everyone else does. I am going to just count one birthday from now on. And then celebrate the anniversary of it every year after that. So, I choose to celebrate the anniversary of my twenty-fifth birthday.

Last night I decided to take Micheal into downtown, so that we could go to Scare on the Square. Jonathan was supposed to get off work at six, which was coincidentally the same time the fun started. My only problem was that I didn't plan on going to this event, nor have I planned on taking a seventeen-month old trick-or-treating, so I didn't get him a costume this year. We had a little policeman last year, and this year, he still doesn't understand the idea of dressing up, so I decided to save myself the money on a costume. Luckily, we have a wonderful grandma who knows that his favorite character is Elmo, so she bought him a windsuit covered with Elmo's face. So, we wore that downtown, and it was just as good as any other $35 Elmo costume we might have bought.

The part that wasn't good was the stupid-ness called Scare on the Square. There were multitudes of people there, of varying ages, with varying degrees of appropriateness in costume choices. Jonathan called and had to work an extra two hours, my sister was out with her friends, and my other friends had their own family and a Halloween party to attend (as New Orleans looters!) So, Micheal and I decided to go anyway. Glad we did, so now I know that we really don't have to go again. It was a bunch of "booths" with candy-crazed midgets pushing their way to the front, trying to get to the candy that each group was passing out. Needless to say, I left my little Elmo in his stroller, and we didn't push our way through to get any candy that he couldn't eat. We did, however, get a balloon, the only thing he really wanted anyway. :)
So, now I know that next year, unless he begs, we don't need to go. Maybe when he's old enough to walk around without acting like a fool. But by the way others there were acting, that may be longer than a year.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

ug. sorry it was gross. thanks for scouting it out for us, though. :)