Saturday, July 02, 2005

Call for help... or so I thought!

It was a hot sunny day one day this week when I was doing nothing hanging out with my child and my phone rang. Thanks to the miracle of caller ID, I recognized the number and excitedly answered the phone. However, when I said, "Hello?" there was no response. So, I tried again, "Hello?" still with no reply.

Now, here is where I now realize that I watch too many detective shows on television. Instead of hanging up, I know that she must have called me for a reason, so I start listening. I can't hear her, but I can hear movement, and a little bit later, I hear a man's voice, but I can't tell what he's saying.

I am thinking that she must have called my number for a reason, maybe because she was going somewhere she wanted me to hear, or that something was happening to her and she wanted someone to be able to find her and help her, or... my imagination was running away...

I knew that it was none of these, but it still peaked my interest just the same.

I continued listening, and then I thought I heard her voice, so I started calling out her name, hoping that she would hear me and realize that her phone was on. Now, knowing this person, I figured that her phone was in her purse, which stays open, and that she would be able to hear me if I yelled enough. So, I kept trying. Then my little Micheal decided he wanted in on the fun, too, so he "yelled" into the phone, too. All, however, to no avail. So, figuring that she would eventually figure it out, I turned off my phone, knowing that would close the line.

However, the higher powers that be decided that this was not to be the end of our encounter. I turned my phone back on to make sure that it had ended the call, only to hear the man's voice again, with more movement.

Now, I'm thinking that this is the perfect opportunity to get some dirt on this person that called me, but my conscience got the best of me and I decided instead to keep yelling. This time, I just plain yelled, and the top of my lungs, in the highest note I could reach, until my breath ran out. Still, she never came to the phone. So, I turned it off again.

You'd think that the dang line would be cut off, but it wasn't. She was still connected. So, she was still subjected to my rantings. Now, though, I decided that if she was going to be wasting her minutes and not even talking to me, I was going to have some fun with this...

"This is your purse talking to you.... your purse is possessed!!!"

"Is there anyone out there? I'm trapped in here!"

"Somebody, anybody, tell her that her phone is talking to her!"

"Hello, can you hear me? I've fallen and I can't get up!

You get the picture. Finally, after about five minutes of continued attempts to disconnect the line, she finally figured out that her purse was making noises, and she picked up the phone to find me laughing at her.

Who was this bright person that I speak of? Who forgot to lock her keypad before putting her phone back into her purse?

I don't think it would be fair of me to divulge the identity without the person having a chance to defend herself, and since she's not writing this, I guess you'll have to wait and see if she 'fesses up!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you must have been super bored. as much as i HATE talking on the phone, i can't imagine talking on the phone to someone who doesn't answer back.

so who was it? huh? huh?

(this is amanda sue. i forgot my password. drat.)

Michelle said...

I guess it wasn't you! :)

Melinda said...

As I sit in the library, franticly typing up my analysis of my last ADR case, I call my mother for a word. I hang up the phone, proof read what I had written, printed it and left. I walked over the school of business and started to talk to Doug, while talking I heard something, but I thought it was someone's ring tone, you know, the kind that yells "Hello...(your name) pick up the phone!!" I have found that a lot of people had that ring, so I ignored it and went on talking to Doug. I then stuck my head into Drew's office to find him and Daniel talking. So I left them and to see if the class room was open and to find my group members for this ADR. Upon not finding anyone, I went back to Drew and Daniel and started talking to them. When I heard it again...."HELLO!!!" Looking around the office in great confusion, knowing fell and well what Drew and Daniel's rings was I lost. That is, until I turned to my own purse to where the sounds were coming. "MELINDA....HANG UP YOUR PHONE!!!" I begin to laugh out loud because I realize that it's MY phone and MY sister yelling at me. So I say hello and then good-bye to get off the phone to be laughed at.

Yes, I do know what a key lock it, and yes I do use it occasionally. But I was in a hurry, and I'm sorry for tying up your line!! :)

Michelle said...

Since you have outed yourself... I hereby promise to make no more fun of you for this incident...
That does exclude any other moments of weakness that I choose to exploit for everyone on the Internet. :)