Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Yes, I am!

Today I got to spend some fun time swimming in this hotter than ever East Texas weather with our friends Amanda Sue and her husband, and my sister. We made my husband cook his famous burgers, and we gorged ourselves and then played the part of the beached whales afterward. Once Amanda and Daniel had left, Melinda and I stayed out there a little longer, and my child took his nap. I had already gotten plenty of sun on my front, and I didn't want to look different depending on which side of me you saw, so I was laying on my float in the middle of the pool with my back exposed to the sun. All was going well, I was almost asleep, until I it felt like I moved my toe across paper and had gotten a paper cut. But, being on the float, I knew that wasn't possible, so I picked up my foot and sat up to look at it, when a little red bug then attacked my other ankle! I don't know if you've ever tried to get off of a float in the middle of the pool very quickly and at the same time gracefully, but it wasn't working for me. I went all the way under, hollering while I did... because that little red bug was a WASP (and I don't mean in the political sense of the acronym.) and it stung me TWICE! OUCH!

I was a big girl, though, and remembering that my child was asleep in the room closest to the pool, I didn't scream really loudly all the curse words that came in my mind. Instead, I pounded my feet on the bottom of the pool trying to make the pain go away. It didn't work. Then my sister remembered that when she got stung by a wasp, they put meat tenderizer on it to take away the pain, so she went and got ours. When she put it on there, I couldn't tell what was worse, the pain from the sting, or the fact that she picked up the seasoned meat tenderizer... it was basically putting salt into a paper cut. I almost cried then. Instead, I made her get Jonathan, and he got the bug stuff, and put it on my toe and my ankle, and now they only hurt in spurts, like cramps or something, and that doesn't feel very good. My husband is so sweet, that then he went back inside and told me that if my tongue started swelling, to yell for him so that he could take me to the ER. And, just how was I going to do that with a swollen tongue? I didn't ask. I figured it would be okay. So, here I sit, doctored up by two people that I feel sure will NEVER earn a doctoral degree in medicine, and I am reminded again, that Yes, I am a wuss.

Stupid wasp. And I didn't even get to kill it.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

um, one time, i was swimming, and i got bit on the nipple by a wasp.

quit yer whinnin'.

Michelle said...

I remember that, and now I have even more respect for you and know that labor is going to be a piece of cake for you! :)

Melinda said...

Correction....I did not have a wasp sting my butt...it was a bee...in my towel. Thank you

Oh...and Amanda...damn, no fun there...I'm sorry!!