Some people think that just if you're a teacher, especially even a math teacher, that if they know you and they don't know the answer to their problem, that you'll stop what you're doing and answer their question. This tends to happen to me when I am especially busy.
I used to help former students, or even children of fellow teachers for a small fee. I figure that is what my extra time is worth when I could be doing something else. But lately, I've only been helping those people that are of the sort that don't feel they need to compensate me for the hours that I spend imparting wisdom on them that they didn't feel the need to listen to in class the first time. It drives me crazy!
Tonight, I had the brother of a former student come over, and he stayed for about two hours. This time, though, when he left, he asked me if I wanted anything for my time. I almost cried! Instead, I told him not to worry about it this time. He then told me that he would probably need more help, and I told him that we would deal with money later. I'm thinking that maybe I finally found a student that understands that a teacher is supposed to be paid for the wisdom they impart.
I'm officially off the soap box now. Anyone else?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
isn't all the teaching you do basically free-of-charge? i know that the state requires payment, but is it any more than just some gas money, really?
that is really very true, but I just meant the time that I usually call my own, after school, or at least during the summer when the school doesn't technically pay me since we're on a 10-month contract.
You are on a 10-month contract!!! Wow...that so very much sucks! I guess that I didn't realize that...wow...sorry about that!
Post a Comment