Saturday, August 04, 2007

Name Game

When my husband and I got pregnant the first time, we had no trouble picking out a boy name, as we had relatives that we wanted to honor. Since we didn't find out until he was born that he was indeed a boy, we also had a girl name picked out. Now that we're pregnant again, and again not finding out the sex of the baby, we needed a boy and girl name again. We decided that we still liked the girl name from the first time we got pregnant, so we decided to keep that one as an option this time. However, the boy name is proving to be a much tougher decision this time. Out of seriousness or not, I don't know, but my husband suggested using his father's name for the boy name, and I immediately rejected that idea. I just don't see myself introducing my little baby boy to the world as a Frank. So, ever since then, my husband has rejected every name I have put out there, out of spite, mainly, but now that we really are getting down to a time when we really need to decide on something, I can't remember the ones I really liked that he shot down, and he won't come up with anything that isn't stupid, like Fido. So, I am officially asking for help. I have given up the fight with him on trying to pick a name that he would like, and he doesn't feel like sitting down to think about it right now either. So, here are the restrictions:

1. It must go with the middle name Edward. (His father's middle name, my compromise)

2. I don't want it to start with an M, since two of the three of us already do start with that letter. I also don't want it to start with an A, since our last name is an A, and I don't want his initials to be AA.

3. I don't want his initials to be something that spells something stupid or vile. For example, if we named him Peter Edward, it would be P.E.A. I don't like that.

4. Lastly, I don't really want a name that can be easily shortened into a nickname. I named my firstborn Micheal, not Mike, not Mikey, and I don't want him called anything other than that. For example, Thomas is a really nice name, but I don't want anyone to call him Tommy.

Clear as mud, right? Now you know why I am having problems with choosing a name. A little help, please?

7 comments:

Amanda said...

John. Classic, simple. For myself, I like a one syllable first name with a 2 syllable middle name. I will keep thinking.

Michelle said...

C'mon, now, how long have you known me!?! My husband's name is Jonathan already... if we did John, it would have to be a junior kind of thing, and then my first son would feel jilted... :)
Silly girl!
Thanks for the try, though... keep thinking...

Amanda said...

Okay...Here are my newest thoughts for names. Blake, Garrett, Christopher, and Scott. Those are names that might be okay with Edward. Do y'all have anything on your list yet?

Michelle said...

I threw my list away about two months ago because he kept shooting down everything I put out there. So, in a pregnancy-induced hormonal rage, I ripped it up and threw it away. So, I'm basically starting from scratch all over again...

Amanda said...

I can definitely understand that! I wanted to add Andrew to my list, but that goes against one of the rules. I am still thinking! I have even looked at baby name websites. Good Luck and let me know if you come up with anything!

Melinda said...

I know that you don't want to shorten it...but I say Donald...but then again you have the spelling issue...D.E.A. Or maybe Bronson. Bronson Edward Adams. B.E.A. that really doesn't spell anything too bad. I like Bronson. :)

Anonymous said...

What about these:
Nathan
Jack
Emery
Kenneth
Jeffrey
Jeremy
Brandon
Ryan
Joshua