Tuesday, August 14, 2007

And Two Became 16…

This past weekend we had a very surprising life-changing event occur at our house. After losing yet another inhabitant in our fish tank about a week ago, I finally decided to replace it. With my mother in town visiting, we went to the other town that actually has a few stores, including a pet store. So, we bought one more little tiny fish to replace the one that was lost, and then we bought a Black Molly fish so that there was at least one fish that we could see.

Once I got them home, I put their bag into our fish tank to let them acclimate themselves to their new home. I left them in there for about ten minutes, while I went to go take care of Micheal and to start getting ready for our trip to Dallas for the circus. When I walked by the tank again, I happened to glance at the bag and see something that caught my eye. It looked like a bunch of little rocks, or that the black fish had expelled some waste or something, because they were all black.

And then one moved.

So I looked a little closer, and there were eight little black dots, ALL of them moving… little tiny baby black mollies! J I called the pet store, who told me that I could make the almost hour drive back to the store to return the fish, or I could keep the mommy and the babies separate, because she would eat them. The problem was that neither of those choices was going to work for me. We only have a 1.5-gallon tank, and there isn’t room to put a separate little holder in there for the babies to grow, and I don’t just have a spare tank or air filter lying around the house. So, I just left the babies in there. Another ten minutes went by, and I wanted to count the little babies again, just so that I could keep track of them. When I counted again, I counted THIRTEEN BABIES!!! Are you kidding me? I only wanted three fish, and I ended up having sixteen fish in a 1.5-gallon tank. Not funny. I put in enough food to keep them happy for the day, and I put in one of those weekend feeders, because we were in the middle of packing the car to go to Dallas for two days for the circus. What fun timing for all of this.

We left our house with sixteen fish on Friday night, and came home to find only nine little baby fish on Sunday afternoon. As of today, I have seen eight little babies swimming around, along with the three bigger adult fish. So, our mortality rate isn’t as high as I thought it might be, and now I am wondering what might happen if all of these little babies keep living, I’m going to have to upgrade tanks, or find someone that wants a few new fish. This should be interesting.

The best part is that it has really been a neat thing for Micheal to see, because he knew that he had one black fish, and then she had babies, just like Mommy is going to have a baby in a couple months. It’s amazing the amounts of life lessons that a simple little fish tank can offer.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

All I can say is you are welcome...for the 1.5 gallon fish tank that is.

Amanda said...

you cute is that? just make sure micheal understands that you are not going to have 13 tiny black babies that look like poop.

Anonymous said...

I hope micheal does not think that this could happen to you....LOL

P.S. that link that you have on your blog is an old one that does not work. Love ya!

Big Cuz