Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Spanish Lessons

My son started his first lessons in Spanish today. Not in a class, but at the home of three of my former students' mother's. She has seven children, one I never had, three more just graduated in the past two years, and the other three are in the 1st through 4th grades. She definitely has the capability to take care of one little two year old. At first I was worried about leaving him there, though, because she speaks no English, and he speaks no Spanish.
So, we got to her house this morning, and he didn't want to get out of the car, but I told him she would have all sorts of toys, and he immediately saw the bicycles and basketball goals outside, so he decided it would be okay. When we got up to her door, she was waiting for us, and he immediately told her that he needed to play with her toys! He didn't have shoes on, and she didn't want his feet to get cold, so she found his shoes in the bag and he knew to sit down and she put them on. Then, they stood up, and he said, "Come on! Let's go find your toys!" I asked for a kiss, and he hurridly gave me one, and I told him to have a good day, and he echoed me and then said, "Bye, Mommy!" No tears, no lingering, no yanking on my legs, no throwing a fit! It was WONDERFUL!
In the short two minutes that I was in the house, I was at first worried about their communication, but then I watched them, and they figured each other out pretty quickly! When I picked him up this afternoon, she said that they had a fun day, and Micheal was in a good mood, still! We talked about putting away toys, and I told him that he could play with them tomorrow if he wanted to come back, and he said that he did! What a difference a happy boy in the morning makes!
Micheal will have three days of Spanish lessons, and then he'll be home with me for the weekend. Then, next week, we start him at a daycare in town, which means I'll have to drive more every morning and afternoon, which I'm not excited about, but that's okay. It will also be my excuse to be in town and go work out after school when I go to pick him up. The best thing about the daycare is that his best friend Hannah will be there, too, in the same room, so that should make his transition a little easier!

My husband and I have been pretty stressed out about this for a week, and we kept telling each other and hearing from our friends and parents that God would take care of us if we put our trust in Him. Not that we didn't believe it before, but I just want to reaffirm the fact that the things that you think really don't need a lot of prayer can always be better with a little prayer.

I hope you take all or your concerns and dilemmas to Him in prayer, because no matter how small or big you think it is, God will take care of you, too! :)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

i am glad that you found somewhere to take him, and someone to watch him in the interim.

sorry you have to drive, but that just goes to show you that you never should have moved into the boonies to begin with. phththth.

Melinda said...

YAY!!!! I'm so very happy for you that you were able to find a place him!!! And not to double up on the whole moving to the boonies thing...but I SO agree with Amanda!

so are you teaching him spanish??

Michelle said...

I'm okay with living in the boonies... it makes it easier to go outside and play in the yard!
The only downside is having to drive a little more to get to be where you want to be in a hurry. :)