Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Follower I Be

Today I had to drive to a different school district for a county-wide inservice thing. Ugh. Anyway. I live out in the middle of nowhere, and this district is in another part of the woods, with no road that just plain connects the two. So, my husband tells me to go the shorter way, along a few county roads, which would keep me away from having to go all the way into town and then back out into the woods again the other way.
This wasn't so bad, except that as I turned onto the road, another car turned in behind me, and then my stress began.
I didn't know the road very well, and then to have someone behind me, I felt pressured to go faster than I felt comfortable doing, I didn't know waht the heck I was doing, and I just wanted to pull over and let him go around me so that I didn't seem like that stupid woman driver that men always joke about. Luckily, he wasn't behind me on all the roads, just one of them, and then it wasn't so bad.
On the way home, I got to follow someone who knew the roads a little better, and I felt much more relaxed about it. I never really thought that I was a follower, but apparently, I am. Oh well.

No comments: