In high school, I had a pretty good job at a kid-friendly place called Discovery Zone. I got that job because my best friend, Megan, worked there too. Eventually, we got our other friend to work there, too, and we had a grand old time, planning parties and bouncing with the kids in the tubes and balls and arcade games. It was loads of fun. Then we graduated and I went off to college. My friend, Megan went off, too, but she found another job that she could take with her when she went off. So, like the good friend she was, she got me to join her again. So, I started working for a company named Vector. They trained me to demo and sell Cutco cutlery. This was supposed to be the easiest job ever, because I could go off to school and take it with me, and build my own customer base in a different city. There was only one problem. You have to be a salesperson to sell things. I am not a good salesperson. If you didn’t want it, I didn’t make you want it, but Megan sure did. She was good at all of this selling stuff and really did a good job at recruiting other people to do it too. So, she was making much better money than I was. I just wasn’t motivated at all. So, I quit selling and moved on with my life, to more fun college related things of course, and the job that put me in the right place to meet my husband.
Ten years later, I get a phone call from a former student, telling me that he got a new job with Vector and he wants to know if he can come to my house and do a demo. I laugh and tell him that would be fine, but I leave out the part where I know have the same set of knives that he’s going to show me, and that I won’t be buying anything today. I will, however, get the address from him where I can send my wonderful set of cutlery to get re-sharpened, because ten years later, they’re just starting to show some wear, and they are under a lifetime guarantee! J
So, if anyone else needs a really good set of knives, I can set you up with a couple people that can line you out with the best in cutlery there is. Or, I can get you lined up with a summer job for a couple quick bucks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment