Yesterday was Little Man's 2 year-old well baby visit. He was also scheduled to get a shot as well, which is why I asked The Husband to go with me. This messed up his planned morning, and he had to adjust his schedule to accomodate ours... strike one.
Then we forgot about the shot record until we were pulling out of the driveway, and still couldn't find it when he went in to look for it, which then made us run a little later than we wanted to, so that's even more fun...
When we got there, The Husband sees the waiting room full of people and sets an hour time limit. If we're not out of the waiting room in an hour, we're gone. And then we have to set a time limit for sitting in the exam room, too.
We sit, and we wait, and we play with blocks and read books, and keep away from other kids that are actually sick, and then we wait some more. After about 45 minutes, we are finally called back to get weighed and measured. Which L.M. doesn't like, and Mommy and Daddy have to do it so that the nurse doesn't touch him, because that's what makes him scream. Strike two...
We are taken back to the Nemo room, thank God we were away from the Barney room... where we waited, and waited, and waited some more. While we waited, since it was now WAY past lunch time, we munched on pretzels and strawberries and animal crackers. All the while The Husband is staring at his watch. He says, "They have 19 minutes to get in here, and then we're gone." Nine minutes later, he says, "Put his shoes back on him, they're not going to make it, we'll just leave." And then she walks in the door. Thank God! But then she says, "Sorry you had to wait, I've had to wait before, and I don't like to make you wait." Strike three...
We really like this doctor, she's always been nice to us, and she's really good with Little Man, but I'm really tired of waiting two hours to see a doctor for seven minutes, and then the nurse to come in and give us a shot and we're out the door fifteen minutes after the doctor first walked in. Why does it have to take two hours for a fifteen minute appointment? For two years, we've been saying that she always makes up for the wait because she's always apologetic and nice and worth it. But now we're just plain fed up. When he was an infant, it was easy to wait with him, because he just slept, but now that he's older, a two hour wait for anything is RIDICULOUS!
So, I guess that puts us on the doctor hunt.
So here's what I need to know... I'm not a good interviewer, and I don't ask all the right questions. What questions do I need to ask a potential physician that I could take my two year old to see, and then later also take a newborn (when the time comes... don't jump ahead of me.)?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hi, I stumbled here through another blog link...
But, I can so sympathize! My doctor here in CA does the same thing.
She is the best doctor, and has diagnosed some things that emergency rooms etc. have missed, so we put up with it. But boy, would it be a treat to be able to wait only 15 minutes before seeing the doctor!
j- thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you found yourself here and didn't hurry up to leave!
ug - we wait that long at our doc too. but he takes his time with us, and makes us feel worthwhile, so for now it is okay.
but don't ask me how i feel when we are in the middle of the waiting game. you might hear some dirty words.
I think pretty much everyone waits a long time. Think of all the parents before you who ask zillions of questions, or the kids that make the examination nearly impossible to happen.
We just switched Bella's ped since her old one left the practice. Questions I asked included:
How long has she been in practice. Does she have any children.
Is she a MD or DO (a little difference, we like DO's).
Does she have an after hours nurse triage.
We keep within a network of docs through Cook's Children, so her credentials will be pretty much the same as the others. It will mostly depend how Bella responds to her.
Post a Comment