Thursday, February 17, 2005

Back again for more!

Hello fellow walkers of this Earth!
I have been incommunicado the past week or so, because this week is the last week of the six weeks, which means I have sooo much to finish up with and then grade and then turn in my grades. Hopefully I can get them done and turned in by tomorrow.

For those not in the teaching world... I saw something weird on the tv this morning that I thought I would share with you.


This morning on the news, there was a story about a 5th grade boy that decided he didn't want to take the TAKS test because the test put a cramp on his creative style and it encroached on his rights. His parents supported him, for some reason, and so the only thing the school district can do is give the student an absence on the test day... even if he attends school.

A couple things about this:
1. Why does a 5th grader have the decision making capability to decide whether he takes a state mandated test or not?

2. What kind of parents allow their child to make decisions like this?

3. Does that mean that when he gets to high school, if he doesn't want to take the Exit level test that his parents are going to support him then, too, and he'll not have to take the test to graduate?

4. Is he going to come to school anyway, even if he's not going to take the test?

5. What would I do if I were the teacher of that student?

There are more random thoughts that I have about this topic, but I have to go make some copies of a test that I have to give to the next class.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

i don't understand people like this. they must have lots of time to sit around and think of ways to rock the boat.