Monday, April 30, 2007

Secrets Don't Make Friends

I have shared something importantly special with all of you that I haven’t really told too many people. This is for a few reasons, none of which anyone else seems to understand. In fact, I think some people that I have told were upset with me that they didn’t find out sooner. I just can’t make anyone happy anymore.

Since I have already shared my secret with all of you, I will now share my reasons for withholding this information, and maybe you can tell me whether I’m just being rude, or whether I’m justified in my thinking. I am only wondering this because I remember that pregnant brain doesn’t always work the same as rational everyday thinking common sense knowing non-pregnant brain.

So, here we go:

Reason #1 for not shouting my happiness from the rooftops: I wanted to make sure that I really was going to have a baby before I got really excited about it. I’ve had too many people tell me to be careful lifting Micheal and to be careful to avoid a miscarriage. So, I wanted to wait until I was past the twelve-week mark and had at least heard the heartbeat so that my fears could subside a little more.

Reason #2 for not calling everyone I know and telling them the first time I peed on a stick and saw a plus sign: I’m thinking about changing schools, and if I do that, I don’t want to tell my prospective employers until I absolutely am sure that I have a job before I tell them that I’m going to need a few weeks off at the end of the first semester. They might not be so excited to hire me after that. It’d be like applying for a minimum wage job and saying that you would only come work for them if they could make sure that you were off every single Saturday, and the week before and after every holiday. Not a good interview technique.

Reason #3 for not wearing maternity pants this week even though I really want to be more comfortable: I’m not ready to tell my students. They already torment me enough about when I’m going to have another one, I’m not ready to tell them until I can’t hide it anymore. I would have enough problems of my own if there were some kind of problem this time around, and I don’t want to cause my kids any more issues than they make for themselves already.

So what do you think? Am I nuts for not shouting to the world how incredible this feeling is, and how much more amazing it is the second time around, knowing what really is coming this time... Or am I just being rude? Please, help me out here. This has really been bugging at my heart and I don’t know what do think about it anymore.

1 comment:

Jennboree said...

When you tell and who you tell is completely up to...YOU! When it comes to pregnancy or delivery, somebody will always be offended/hurt/upset. Who knows why??

A good friend of mine lost her baby last Thursday. She was 10 weeks along and though she was wary before getting pregnant of having a second miscarriage, she told many close friends and family due to her excitement.

She told me that now she has to deal with not only her own sadness and grief but also those who she had told.

Does it REALLY matter if people know you're pregnant at 8 weeks or if it is 12 weeks? no. You've still got many months to go and the greatest joy of all is when that bundle of love is here!