Thursday, January 10, 2008

Please God, don't let me get pulled over...

I’ve been back at work for a couple weeks now, and have been doing the pumping at work thing twice a day… enough to keep my little chunker happy. This week was Rebecca’s first week at daycare also, and we’ve been adjusting very well. Except for the fact that the first two days she ate every hour and a half. You’d think that meant that she ate a little bit every time, but yesterday she ate six times for a total of twelve ounces!! As a comparison, she usually eats about six or seven ounces in that same amount of time when she’s at home. Maybe it was just a “growing day” or she was using food as a comfort while she’s adjusting to new surroundings. Either way, she used up all of the bags that I left for her at daycare. So, I dropped off new ones today, praying that it would be enough. I figured if it wasn’t, they’d call me.

Today was a doozy for me, though. We got ready for school and got in the car and on the road at the right time, and it was looking to be a great day! But then it came time for my conference period and I started getting my pump ready. And then I noticed that I didn’t have the plug that I needed. I called my husband in a panic, and then realized the only thing I could really do was go home and get it. Otherwise, I was going to be in pain and have a wet shirt by the time the next class started. So, I grabbed my pump and my purse and ran to the car and FLEW home. On the way home, I started planning. I had forty-five minutes to make a thirty minute round trip and pump for at least twenty-five minutes, including set up and cleanup time. I’m a math teacher, and that just doesn’t add up. So, I got my pump all set up, because once I got home, I was going to grab my plug AND some batteries, and I was going to pump in the car on the way back to school, and just pray that I didn’t get stopped on my way there. That just wasn’t something I wanted to try to explain to one of my husband’s coworkers.

Unfortunately, the batteries didn’t make it work. No idea why new batteries didn’t work in a pump that has used batteries before. So, I looked for the car adapter, but my husband had it for his laptop. So, I FLEW back to school so that I could plug in at school. I made it back to school with about fifteen minutes left in my conference period, so I hid in the office instead of going into my room, for fear of someone unlocking my door for my kids and everyone walking in to my worst nightmare.

All in all, it’s funny now, not so funny then. Can’t you just see it on TV? One of the funniest videos from the policeman’s dashboard camera, catching his face turn scarlet red, making excuses as he backs away from my car? Yeah, not what I want my fifteen minutes of fame to be about.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

oh, i am so not looking forward to that. i can feel your pain when you discovered you didn't have the right plug. i can FEEL IT.